Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Baby works, #2!

My job allows me to work with all different types of people and various sizes. The best thing yet happened the other day. I have been very interested in working in the Neonatal ICU and was able to go up there with a co-worker who is "introducing" me to the unit and what she does. During some orientation, we got to go into the unit to work with a week old baby, born at 33 weeks. Basically, she was born seven weeks early!! She was in an incubator, keeping her warm of course.

Gail was working with her, checking out her tone, providin passive range of motion as well as checking out her movements, everything. Gail then asked me, "Do you want to hold her?" I was speech less!! Of course I did! I actually go to hold baby "B" for a few minutes, and got to feel what she felt like and really see how small she was. It was amazing! Absolutely amazing. For a body being so small, she was alive and moving and doing well! It was great!! I never thought I'd say I enjoy something like this, but it is the best feeling!

The good news, I don't have to be there all the time, but it is nice to be able to try something different. I am looking forward to seeing more little ones in the near future. Joe, of coure, was a little hesitant when I told him, because he is afraid of anything smaller than a football basically. He doesn't want me to get too close cause he isn't ready for a wee-one yet. So, I have to limit what I do for the sake of Joe! So more stories to come, hopefully!!

2 comments:

Janell said...

Hey, Erin! How fun that you got to hold a premie in the Neonatal ICU! Aren't babies quite the miracles?! And yes, it's the best feeling. :)

Hope all is well with you!

Sarah L. said...

Hi, Skor-More! Haven't seen you in quite the while. Saw your blog linked through Kelly's. Glad to hear you're doing well!