Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Eventful Weekend

This past weekend I attended another continuing education class focusing on the management and treatments relating to patients who've experienced a stroke. The class started on Friday afternoon and continued all day on Saturday. A great way to take care of my CE credits needed to renew my PT license. Friday after the class I went up to see my uncle, still in the hospital, to see how he was doing. He informed me he'd be going home probably on Monday. After talking for awhile, I decided I should get going, and stop to say HI to Joe down at Starbucks before I made it home. Upon leaving the parking ramp, I started down 3rd Ave toward Superior Street, although I never made it there. I was stopped at the 1st Street stoplight because it was red, and some little old lady rear ended me, lifting my vehicle's back end right off the ground!!! I couldn't believe it! I put my car in park, got out to see if she was ok, and found her to be a bit confused, but nothing wrong. Her car still under mine, she started reviving up her engine, but not going anywhere because she had put her car in park! I told her she needed to put it into reverse, and that then we'd pull the cars over to the street so we'd be out of the way of other vehicles.

I told her I was going to call the police, to let them know what had happened, and so we could report this to our insurance company. Norma Jean, 84 years old, kept telling me that wasn't necessary and that she would just give me her insurance information; however, Norma Jean wasn't able to find her cards in her purse, "I just changed insurance agents and I can't find my cards!" Well, after standing out in the rain for 15 minutes dealing with this, the police finally showed up, as did my husband. I needed to get a my insurance information from my car, although I was I was looking for my cards, I remembered that they were stolen out of my car with my owners manual a couple of months back. Luckily, the police officer was able to use an older card of mine, and the reports were being written up.

Upon completion of the all the paper work, I read what Norma said had happened: "My foot must have slipped off the brake." Now, going down a hill in Duluth, that is not the best time for your foot to slip off the brake, don't you think! Oh well, there wasn't much damage done to my car this time, but I'm still concerned since my car is a lease, it has to go back in the same condition it was bought at. So it is something that needs to be looked at.

Yesterday I worked hard. (Ok, I worked, but not necessarily hard.) I called my mom and found out she was coming up to pick my uncle and bring him home. He was discharged to home and home health was going to help out with the dressing changes that need to be done daily, if not twice a day. He still has two OPEN incisions on his neck, but is taking antibiotics. He still has an infection and they will not close the incisions. They want them to heal from the inside out because of how severe the infections truly were. I'm worried things may change and he ends up sick again, but he's a fighter and things should fall into place. My parents will be able to help out if something is needed. Other than that, I'm glad things turned around for him. He's been through a lot this year. So lets pray things keep heading down this positive road for awhile.

As for today, I was able to have the day off from work because we are currently over staffed at work and our census is low. As a result, there were three of us who were able to relax and take care of things that need to be done. As for me, I ran to the gym and worked out for awhile, ran to Target to pick up another baby shower gift, and then headed to take care of an extra charge found on my credit card. A nice, relaxing day.

No comments: