Sunday, June 21, 2009

Another Half Marathon Completed!

Well, despite the heat and sticky weather, I finished Grandma's 1/2 Marathon in 2hours 33min for my chip time! It was a bit slower than I wanted. Okay, I lied, alot slower than I wanted. I was hoping to finish right around the 2hr 20min mark, but the weather took a toll on me. The morning started at 4AM with a temperature of 64 degrees with 98% humidity at my house. When we got to start of the race, it was about 70, and only got warmer throughout the morning. By the time I finished, it was 82 degrees! It was awful for running, we at least for me, but I finished.

The first 9.5 miles went great with a good steady pace, walking only through the water stations. for hydration. I usually don't stop for water, but had I not, I would have been one of those people at the medical tents or on the gurneys at the end of the race! The replenisher at the aid stations were great and really helped me out. I got to meet several good people to run with, each of which ended up finishing after me. (Yeah, I guess!)

The last 3.5 miles felt like they took forever. Getting down onto Superior Street should have been a great point, knowing you are just that much closer to the end, but I sure didn't feel that way. There wasn't much wind and it felt like the temperature jumped. I do have to say the last mile was the killer for me and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it to the end. I was exhausted, and ended up having to walk a couple of times. The crowd was great, just encouraging you the whole way. "You're almost there," and "You can do it" were all I needed to hear. I was so close, I just needed to finish. Then, without notice, the w/c top racer came flying past me! Now, if he can do 26.2 miles in under 2.5 hours, I can finish this 1/2 marathon!

Before I knew it, I was at the finish line, receiving my heavy medal and shirt, taking everything in. Everyone congratulating everyone else. Despite of the massive chaos, I got to see a couple of coworkers who were running, too, so it was good to know I wasn't the only one struggling. It was a tough race, had the weather not been so hot, I could have finished a lot better than what I did. Another great experience though. So a new goal for me now is to potentially run another 1/2 marathon this fall in Ashland, The Whistlestop. Since I have that competitive side, I need to beat my time this summer. Hopefully Joe will join me this round, but we'll see! I'll keep you posted on that idea. Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement! It really meant a lot!

6 comments:

Tiffany and Brian said...

Such an awesome accomplishment!!!! You must feel on top of the world right now. Time really doesn't matter. Very proud of you. Convince Joe it would be a great thing to do together.
Thanks for noticing my hostas, I have a ton of them and they make me happy everytime I look at them, i'm lucky.
On an end note... Just keep running. I stopped after my last half marathon, partially because I was prego and loosing weight but it is hard to get back into shape, slowly working.
Also... I don't have your email but we are doing a very casual, imprompto gathering in the cities, Saturday July 11th (no kids). Just maybe dinner, hot tub, hotel, girl time. Just let me know Tiff

Sarah L. said...

Way to go! I admire your stamina because I have none :)

Jessica said...

Congrats on your finish!!

Kelly K said...

Way to go Erin! I got your text on Sat, and I am so proud of you! And the picture of you - you look fantastic!

amrolih said...

Yea Erin! Way to go girl. I think 2 1/2 hours is pretty darn impressive. Nice work!

TheLundys said...

so proud of you!!!!