Saturday, June 7, 2008

The 10-Year HS Class Reunion

The other day, I received notice about my upcoming high school class reunion. I can't believe it has already been 10 years since I left the little town of Washburn and ventured out into the big unknown. Well, I started looking back at the times I had during high school and realized, yet again, I need not go down that road. I hated almost every moment I had during that time frame. I was teased often, more so because I was better at sports than some of the guys in my class. I wasn't necessarily part of the "in crowd" so I more often than not, got left out of things and was very rarely invited to events or parties. (Hmm, this is sounding more and more like my time in college and post-college times.) I guess I felt school was more important than drinking, drugs, and getting into trouble, something my parents instilled in me, "You have to get a good education to make it far in this world." I'm glad I had a family that pushed me to be the best I could be and to do whatever I wanted to do. (Otherwise, I probably would have given up on being a Physical Therapist after the second time I didn't pass my boards exam and I'd still be working at hell, I mean Sam's Club.) I should say thank you to all of those who have helped me to get to where I am today. If it wasn't for y'all, I'm sure I'd be a whole different person. Our friends are the ones to get us through those hard times and make sure we still have our head above the water to breathe.

As for the reunion, I'm not too sure this is something I really want to do. I feel obligated to attend because of the time Kristen is putting into everything to set it all up. But honestly, I'm not sure if I'm ready to travel down that road again. When I graduated, I wanted to get as far away from some of them that I could. Some people made my life a living hell. There are couple of people I'd like to see though. I have discussed with a fellow classmate, Travis, that we'd drink together, and this time I wouldn't throw up on his shoes like I did the first time we drank together. (The first time I actually drank during HS was a our graduation, so I held out for a long time, all things considered.) There are many things that have always bothered me: many of my classmates never left Washburn, and still live there, either working in the grocery store or not making it is life with many children hanging on their arms. Some have done wonders for them and have their own businesses. To me, I just don't understand why they didn't want to try bigger and better things than little ol' Washburn. But other than these little things, I'm not even sure if many people are going to attend because a fellow HS classmate is getting married that weekend as well. I'm not invited, thank goodness, but I know she is still good friends with a lot of others from our class. So who knows who'll show up either venue.
I'm thinking the appropriate thing to do is attend. I do have things to hang in front of others and of course that include: my great and wonderful husband; my good health after losing 36 pounds and a breast reduction; a great job working as physical therapist; and the ability to say I've made something of myself and have moved on from the small town and ventured out in life to try something new. No matter what happens or what people may think, I can honestly say I am finally happy with myself and am glad as to where I am in life. Granted, we haven't taken the "baby" road yet, but that's to come shortly. So I guess going in with a positive attitude is what will have to be done, and be happy for others choices as to where they are in their lives as well. So if any of you gal's have any hints of making it through the night sober, please feel free to chime in any time! Otherwise, it's looking like my parents are going to be picking us up again at the bar. Its a good thing they'll be around, cause I think I won't be sober enough to drive. Oh well!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I know exactly how you feel. Mine is coming up in July and luckily I have plans already. Hope to see you this weekend!

amrolih said...

Ahhh 10 years! Has it been that long already? Whether you go or don't go, who cares about the rest of the people you graduated with - you've done some amazing things! Be proud!

Tiffany and Brian said...

It's my ten year as well but I've caught up with many of my classmates that I wanted to see and a few I haven't. All n All it actually feels kind of good to see those that I have had some bad feelings about for all these years. I realized that we all grew up. I think it would be good to go but I won't make mine due to Brian starting school etc. Could be good closure, could really suck!